Thursday, May 7, 2009

Final chapter

The very end of the last chapter made me think about our discussion that we had in class the other day about fostering curiosity and wonder in students and in people.  The authors write that "One may enter a scientific career through wonder, but one cannot persist in wonder, at least not in public before one's peers." (367)  I question whether or not we realize that we express our wonder in public.  I'll use the example of a grocery store checkout line.  They mention tabloids in this chapter and I can't count how many times I have said something or heard someone else comment on the outrageous headlines in non-celebrity tabloids.  "Three headed baby survives..." or some other catchy headline will always grab my attention (although I don't necessarily believe it is true).  I am more in awe of the fact that these tabloids sell.  People display wonder all the time in public and although that might not mean that they want to pursue or inquire further on the subject, they still identify and comment on these wonders.  Is it that socially unacceptable to have an interest in wonders?  Or is it so common that we only notice it as unusual when someone points it out to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment