Sunday, March 1, 2009

do people in charge of museums read articles like this?

The article on museums was really interesting in that I had never really thought of what a museum was there for. Don't get me wrong I have always liked going to museums and art galleries I just never put any thought into what they were there for. After reading this I have realized that I have completely missed the point of museums in the past. Art can teach us about our world and even shape the way we view it. Typically people(myself included) have viewed going to museums as a leisurely pass time void of any real intellectual rigger. What museums must do is create an environment that allows the work to "work" insofar as it teaches something and shapes the way the viewer sees her world. This is to take very seriously the idea that art is capable of conveying meaningful truth and ought not be thrown out in favor of science.

No comments:

Post a Comment