Monday, January 26, 2009

Chapters 2 & 3

I enjoyed Lynch's explinations in these chapters. I found it refreshing and relieving to know that truth doesn't have to be based on absolute certainty. If we personally believe something to be true and have no sufficent reason for rejecting this truth than it is justified. I felt that this analysis was effective in helping us to obtain truth now that it seems obtainable. I don't agree with simple relativism because it is simple minded in our pursuit of the truth we have to be able to see that everything is not black and white, that would make things way to easy, and boring! Also truth as power is giving way to much power to one party and discrediting others. Power does not equal all knowing and neverwill. However, like Lynch says on pg.41 "context does matter", so as long as we don't slip into not finding truth relevant at all or not worth seeking than relativism can be a good thing. After reading ch. 2 I was more optimistic about being able to obtian truth because I realized that in order to do so all I had to do was challenge what my perspective of what truth is. While I was reading this chapter I kept thinking of the saying that there are 3 sides to an arguement my truth, your truth, and the real truth, whatever that may be, regardless it good to pursue the truth.

Also I'm sorry to my class mates that I will not be attending lab I have another class at this time but I did read the materials and will continue to keep up with what you all are doing and try to offer some insights or questions if you wish to respond that would be great and help me out a lot. I would love to know what you all discussed today and every Monday. The question I had about the articles for today was about conflicting truths; If I believe something to be true and feel that it is justified and you also beliecve something and feel that it is also justified who's truth is true when it is impecable that we don't have conflicting views for avoidence of pointless arguement reasons and also for the pursuit of truth reasons? In other words if I want to believe what is true how do I know when my beliefs are wrong, assuming that I don't have a problem with admitting that I am wrong, justification of knowledge? P.S I chose Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci for my painting

No comments:

Post a Comment