Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I believe that Meredith and Leslie have identified one of the points I had the hardest time with in this section of reading. I was slightly confused to begin with about Lynch's example, as it led me to question if truth could be a relative concept. At first, I felt it detracted from the overall argument, and in fact led me away from his point. It took a closer second reading to get another layer of meaning from it.

To those contained within the vat, in Lynch's example, they would perceive that which their mind saw as true. They would believe that where they were was, in fact, real. This would be an honest, and true belief. The delineation here is that it is referring to a true belief, not a true fact. Truth is not a subjective thing; something either is, or is not. Our perception may make us hold a true belief that we know the truth, but it does not mean that we know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment