Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"The more I learn the less I know"

While reading this first chapter on truth it reminded of something that my grandmother would say, "The more I learn the less I know." Although we may believe that we know the truth what we believe to be the truth may not be the truth at all. However what I took Lynch's point to be that this dosen't mean that the truth dosn't matter it matters very much. Just because truth is objective doesn't make it any less important of a virtue. Also there is nothing wrong with finding a new truth, "Caring about truth does not mean never having to admit you were wrong (3)." So in order to keep aiming at the goal, the truth, we must keep an open mind, think outside of the box, and admit our mistakes even though it may be hard at times.

Michelle I'm not sure if I'm right or this will help but what I think that he is explaining when he talks about truth being objective is something like this: Let's say you have a neice or nephew who is young around 3 or so and when you ask she/he what your name is he says "Shelly." Does that mean that that child is being untruthful because they honestly have been taught and think that your name is Shelly? After all it is completely rational for this child to have called you Shelly, yet it was mistaken. However, once someone teaches the child that your name is actually Michelle and that child learns that she/he can never truly belive that your name is Shelly agian.

Meredith I agree with your statement about the truth is objective depending on individuals experiences and your talk about the virtual world. I think this is what the author tries to point out when talking about the matrix, but using a reverse scenerio. All the charater Neo knows is what most of us know as "the real world" and he comes to find out the matrix is reality, I enjoyed this example and though it illustrated his point well.

No comments:

Post a Comment