Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I agree with Kathy in so much as truth cannot be separated from morality and ethics, and I think chapter 4 points that out. I thought the important idea from this chapter is that truth may not always be the right answer. In the initial chapters, it seemed that Lynch was advocating truth above all else, but we see now that other factors are important to consider - "while truth is value, it is not the only value." (50)

I also like what Lynch said on page 51, "Life decisions aren't like mathematics. We cannot decide in advance what we should do, because what we should do depends in large part on the particular details of the situation in question." This brings the idea of truth into real life. However, it might seem a bit contradictory to the truisms he presented in the early chapters. I would like to discuss how this statements changes the implications of those truisms, or if others don't think that it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment