Thursday, January 22, 2009

Those Who Seek Truth

I have to admit that I was thinking exactly the same thing as Matt after reading Lynch's statement that only those whose lives are "filled with tragedy and poverty" would choose to live in the virtual "untrue" reality (15). I feel as though a majority of people, in a sense, choose to live in their own worlds, ignoring outside truths. Life is easier that way - less painful. I suppose, however, that since they believe their "world" to be truth then that is their "truth." Who are we to claim that our own truth is the most true? Lynch touched upon this concept of "multiple truths" and though it was initially confusing, I have to agree. Truth is, after all, objective. People that live in their own worlds and do not consciously seek truth believe their world is true just as wholeheartedly, if not more, that someone constantly striving for truth.

So why do some of us consciously seek truth while others seem content with their current truths? Which group do I fit into? Lynch uses the examples of people wanting to know when a spouse has been unfaithful and also of people choosing to be genetically tested so as to know whether they test positive for an untreatable disease. I have to admit that in both of these cases I would seek the truth. Painful though it may be, I would have to know. I think the reason certain people seek truth more than others is because they doubt their current truths. Those people who are stubbornly, arrogantly even, set in their current opinions, fear outside contradicting truths and therefore have no wish to seek them. 

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that there's a difference btwn not seeking the truth and knowing that you're not seeking the truth and choosing to believe that you have the truth and simply not being willing to question what you believe. What do you think? Is there a difference?

    ReplyDelete