Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I agree with you all, it is hard to delineate what Lynch is saying because of the repetitiveness in the chapter, but also because the idea of "truth" is something we've used all of our lives and now are suddenly forced to think about it in an entirely different way. I see what Leslie said about the confusion behind reality and truth. What we believe to be true is only true until we prove it false, which as we know from history and the reading (the earth being round and not flat) happens often. Truths are fluid ideas that always have the ability to become untrue. I feel like this topic relates to the three levels of knowledge we discusses in class on Tuesday. The possessive knowledge truths are things that are highly unlikely to be disproved, for example, my name is Michelle. It will probably stay that way for the rest of my life, however, like many truths it can change, but it's highly unlikely. But, if you go to the second of third levels of knowledge, (performative and proactive), these would be fluid truths, maybe opinions, or naive ideas. They may or may not be actually true, but because we believe they are at some time, for that moment they are our truths.
I'm confusing myself now, but I'm trying to make sense of all of this.

In response to the last posed question: "do you think that saying that you care about truth because you like to be right is the same thing or is that using truth as a tool to form right beliefs and opinions?" I think those are two different views of why truth is valued. As Lynch says, "Truth is worthy caring about for its own sake," but I think each individual sees that "sake" as something different. For some, it may be the strength of being right or knowing as many of the answers in life as possible, where for others using others' truths is how they form their opinions.

1 comment:

  1. I don't quite see how it is that Lynch is being repetitive in this chapter. We'll talk about this tomorrow. So, hopefully you all will have some examples to share.

    ReplyDelete