Thursday, February 5, 2009

Last Chapters...

I agree that I have become a little tired of Lynch's at times "flakey" reasoning, but I just try to attribute this to the fact that all that he is discussing honestly does not have a definite answer. In my mine, all of the discussion of truth and happiness and everything else is not necessarily to find one definite answer but is more of a general exploration of these concepts (which does not always make it any less frustrating). I did find myself coming to a better understanding of truth in chapter 8 when Lynch applied it to happiness. For some reason it clicked with me when he discussed truth in terms of how it is good for an individual's life and happiness and not how it is good in a sort of broad sense. 

Once again, I interpret Lynch's urging us to work towards truth as just urging us to seek it, even if we never see definite, concrete results. I have always thought that keeping an open mind and listening to the viewpoints of others make a person wiser than if they just think they have all the answers, even if the majority of them are the "right" answers. So I think caring about truth (to me) is not as much about always needing to say the correct thing or making sure that everything one believes is backed by the most solid of facts but about always being open and knowing that there is always room for change or growth in one's belief's. This does not mean that no one can ever have confidence in his or her beliefs, just that thinking that our beliefs are completely set in stone is unproductive and a little naive. This may go against what Lynch has said earlier about individuals having to believe their beliefs are true in order for them to be beliefs in the first place, but this is where my mind starts chasing its tail. After finishing the book, I think the overall discussion of truth is more important than coming to any definite conclusion about it.

1 comment:

  1. Just an fyi -- I'll be asking for examples of said "flaky" reasoning. :-)

    ReplyDelete