Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Leslie,
I think we decided that Lynch's definition of truth is that it "matches up with reality" and then we looked at the different "ism's" he presented and related them back to his reality belief. I also have written down that, "truth is independent of believer/believing," which we decided was pretty important too. Also for your "yellow" question, I'm thinking that is similar to the example of the marker being true in class today, the reason we can't define it is because "yellow" just isn't a concept like truth or knowledge. Granted, we could define it, according to dictionary.com.

Yellow: a color like that of egg yolk, ripe lemons, etc.; the primary color between green and orange in the visible spectrum, an effect of light with a wavelength between 570 and 590 nm.

As for the rest of our discussion today, I think I am a fan of verificationism, at least for right now, because I am someone, like most, who enjoys being correct, but not just for the sake of being right, but for actually being right. If that makes any sense.

Also, regarding moral truth, I do not think that there is a definite, objective moral truth, like the obejctive truth because morality is subjective in my view. I wouldn't be opposed to hearing others' views on this because I feel that an objective moral truth is possible, but right now I can't figure out how to prove that.

No comments:

Post a Comment