Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Moral Truth

I found it interesting when we started to discuss the idea of moral truth at the end of class, today. It seems that when we throw the idea of morals into the spotlight, all of our conceptions of truth that we have established so far simply melt away. I came away from class with a few of the more interesting points written down.

"What's moral depends on context." Or, to rephrase the statement and retain a similar meaning, moral truth depends on context. How is it that we consider moral truth to be so radically different from regular truth that we suggest it is merely relative. So far, it seems like everyone has been on-board with the idea of an objective truth, unaltered by what we happen to believe; doesn't it make sense that moral truth ought to behave similarly? Perhaps I misunderstood the discussion.

1 comment:

  1. I think the problem we all have with saying that there is an objective moral truth is that we can't prove it. Maybe I'm being too much of a verificationist when I say this, but it seems that proof or evidence (or lack thereof) is what is barring us from agreeing that there is an objective moral truth.

    ReplyDelete