Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Scientific Truth

Like Betsy, I'm also a science major but I had a different response to Lynch's argument against the verificationism view of truth. As Lynch discussed science and how science enables us to get "at the truth about how things are" I came to the realization as to why I enjoy my science classes so much. I like that there is a right and wrong answer to problems. (I say this disregarding Lynch's position which is obviously against my own opinion.) Not to say that I don't enjoy other classes in which I get to think and form opinions, just that I feel I am able to get closest to the "truth" in my science classes. 

On a completely different note, I'm hoping that we can discuss the concept of "casual realism" in class. I read the section multiple times and still am failing to grasp what Lynch is trying to say. I understand Lynch's arguments against it and agree that truth does not necessarily have to be connected to physical things with which one has a relationship, but it seemed that every time I got a hint of what he was trying to say I would then reread the passage to clarify and find myself mistaken and confused. "It seems that my belief that there is an apple on the table is true because there is an apple on the table." I have to agree with this statement but Lynch's next statement, which I might add he claims simplifies the "casual theory of representation,"says that "my particular thoughts represent what causes them." I'm just having a difficult time wrapping my head around this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment