Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Verificationism

Like someone said today in class, I am also believing (or being influenced by Lynch's explanation) in the ideas of verificationism to an extent. Even when I was really young, everything has needed a concrete explanation. I was the little girl who asked tons of questions and then responded to every answer with "why?" In order for me to wrap my head around a concept or an idea or even a belief I need concrete evidence to back it up. Lynch claims that this has something to do with humans always wanting to be right (which could be true) but I think that it has more to do with the amount of wrong or crappy information we are exposed to every day. It seems that it is ingrained in our minds to always question where our information comes from until we have solid proof that it is the truth.

On the flip side of that, there are still beliefs that I hold that can't be proven by any scientific means. I am not religious, but I am spiritual and I belief, somewhat, in a higher power. D i have scientific proof of this? No. But do i have good reasons for believing this? Yes. This is why I could never be a pragmatist. Believing in spirituality is not necessarily corresponding to any type of reality, but it does make me feel good sometimes. I'm getting more and more interested to hear about what Lynch's ultimate opinion is on truth and to see where exactly he is going as he debunks (or critiques) all of these theories on truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment